From Vineyard to Glass: The Journey of Franciacorta Brut Ronco Calino
Franciacorta Brut Ronco Calino is a precise, classic-method sparkling wine with a classic setting, produced with 80% Chardonnay and 20% Pinot Noir.
A good underlying flavor forms the backbone of what is an evolved wine, born to enhance the innate elegance of the Chardonnay.
In fact, to enhance the fullness of this grape variety, 20% of the Chardonnay in the base wine is aged in wood to bring out more mature tones.
How Franciacorta Brut Ronco Calino is produced
In the vineyard, the most care, sustainability, and attention are given. In fact, the Ronco Calino winery is certified organic because of how well they care for their plants. So let’s start in the best way possible.
With the first cuttings chosen in Burgundy, which currently have a density of 6,000–8,000 plants per hectare of land, this attention comes with an incredible amount of material.
After the grapes have been picked by hand, the base wine is soft-pressed and fermented in steel tanks.
As mentioned, 20% of Chardonnay is aged in oak barrels. After the second fermentation, the wine rests for 30 months on its lees.
You read that right: 30 months is a very long aging period; if you consider that Franciacorta sparkling wine, to be regulated, must age on the lees for a minimum period of 18 months, 30 months are usually necessary to make vintage Franciacortas.
You understand well the commitment of the cellar in putting so much care into what is the simplest sparkling wine of the house.
A complex and nuanced nose, calibrated, with clear balsamic references, dried fruit, candied citrus fruits, aromatic herbs to give panache, and then in the background, the elegantly designed yeasts.
Beautiful variety for a clean, believable, multifaceted aromatic framework, never stylized.
The taste of Franciacorta Brut Ronco Calino
On the palate, it is very fresh, tonic, sculpted with precision, alternating more mature suggestions with other creamy ones, with a fine perlage; it moves on a varied citrus register; it never stops; it has rhythm and pulp.
The mineral stamp gives aromatic depth and structure and innervates the whole wine, pushing it to a finish where fruit, vanilla tones, and aromatic herbs frame it.
Agile structure, well designed, as befits a thick Chardonnay, with a vigorous line but without the slightest smudge.
19–22 euros: an honest price for a classic-method sparkling wine made with care.
- Carbonara. The creamy, rich sauce in carbonara pairs well with a light-bodied white wine like Franciacorta Brut Ronco Calino. The wine’s crisp acidity and citrusy notes cut through the fat and complement the dish’s salty flavors.
- Chicken curry. The aromatic spices in chicken curry call for a wine with enough flavor to stand up to them. Franciacorta Brut Ronco Calino’s nuanced nose and multifaceted flavor profile complement the complexity of the dish without overpowering it.
- Pad Thai. The bold, sweet, sour, and spicy flavors in Pad Thai require a wine that can balance them out. Franciacorta Brut Ronco Calino’s lively acidity and mineral notes cut through the dish’s sweetness and complement its spiciness, making for a refreshing pairing.
- Pasta al pesto. The herbaceous, nutty flavors in pesto pair well with a crisp, light-bodied white wine like Franciacorta Brut Ronco Calino. The wine’s citrusy notes complement the dish’s earthy flavors, making for a refreshing and harmonious pairing.
- Fish. Franciacorta Brut Ronco Calino’s minerality and freshness make it an excellent pairing for fish dishes. Whether it’s grilled, roasted, or served with a light sauce, the wine’s acidity and delicate fruit notes will enhance the fish’s flavors and textures.