For a special occasion like the 4th of July or for just the pleasure of eating a good piece of tender meat, the filet mignon is an excellent piece of meat!
Ingredients to make the beef filet mignon, baby potatoes with caramelized onions and Boston salad with goat cheese dressing
Recipe for 2 people
- 2 pieces of beef filet mignon (weight according to how much beef you’re looking to eat)
- 8 – 10 small potatoes per person
- 1 red onion
- 7-8 sprigs of thyme
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Boston lettuce 1 head of salad per person
- 60 g or 2 tablespoons of goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- ¼ cup olive oil
- butter, salt, pepper
Put the potatoes to cook in a saucepan with salted water, start with cold water, drain when cooked. Pay attention to the potatoes while cooking, they must remain whole.
Peel, wash and dice the onions. Cook the onions with olive oil and butter for 10 minutes over medium heat. Add the thyme and the chopped garlic, cook for 2 minutes and then add the brown sugar and cook for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and continue cooking for 1-2 more minutes so they are well coated with caramelized onions.
In a bowl mash the cheese, add the maple syrup and pepper and mix with a whisk while adding the olive oil. Once you are ready to serve add the dressing over the Boston salad.
Next season the meat. In a skillet add the olive oil, butter, and thyme. When the fat is hot, start cooking the meat.
The cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the meat, how hot the pan is, and the cooking equipment.
- Blue = 3 minutes on each side, the meat is almost raw but warm in the center
- Rare = 4 minutes on each side, the meat is red in the center, the exterior is just crispy
- Medium = 5 minutes on each side, until the meat is seared, and a bit pink in the center
- Cooked = 6 minutes on each side, the meat in the center is no longer red but brown without being dry.