Frog’s Leap Merlot 2018 Review: An Exquisite Napa Valley Red Wine
Like a leaping frog, the Frog’s Leap Merlot 2018 from Rutherford, Napa Valley, springs into your palate with delightful flavors, aromas, and most importantly, sustainable farming philosophies. This bottle truly embodies what makes the Frog’s Leap Winery a standout producer in the coveted Napa Valley region.
- Origin: Rutherford, Napa Valley, California, USA
- Grape Varietals: 80% Merlot, 14% Cabernet Sauvignon, 6% Cabernet Franc
- Alcohol Content: 13.8%
- Price Point: $40
- Availability: High-quality wine stores, select online retailers
- Sustainability: Certified organically grown grapes and indigenous yeasts
- Aging Process: 18 months in French oak barrels
- Soil Type: Alluvial, loam, and gravel
- Harvest Method: Hand-harvested
- Average Vine Age: 20-30 years
How It’s Made
Craftsmanship is the name of the game at Frog’s Leap, where sustainability reigns supreme. Hand-harvested grapes from mature vines are gently guided through spontaneous fermentation in a mix of stainless steel and concrete tanks. The aging in French oak barrels lends a complex structure to this meticulously crafted Merlot blend.
Rooted in Tradition: The Legacy Behind the Label
With a history that reaches back to the late 20th century, Frog’s Leap has been a beacon of organic and biodynamic farming in Napa Valley. They’ve shown a stalwart commitment to environmental health, a philosophy that clearly reflects in the quality of their wines.
Philosophy: The Quintessence of Balance
Frog’s Leap is a study in harmony—between land and vine, fruit and barrel, passion and practice. This bottle encapsulates their core belief: that organic and sustainable farming isn’t just a method, but a philosophy that reverberates in each sip.
- Color & Aroma: Picture a deep, enticing ruby hue, with aromatics of dark cherry, black plum, and notes of vanilla and clove.
- Flavor Profile: A sip unveils a melodic arrangement of flavors—think ripe red fruits, laced with earthy undertones, and herbal highlights, all enveloped in velvety tannins.
- The Finish: It leaves you with a lingering, memorable finish, balanced yet captivating, urging you to reflect and then, of course, go in for another sip.
Pair this elegant Merlot with hearty meat dishes like grilled steak or roast lamb, or earthy delights like a mushroom risotto. The wine’s richness enhances these flavors to culinary heights you’d not easily forget.