Diageo’s ‘Spirited Xchange’: A Symphony of Rare Malts from Master Blender Dr. Stuart Morrison
Diageo rolls out its 2023 Special Releases, an elite lineup of rare single malt Scotch whiskies, helmed for the first time by Master Blender Dr. Stuart Morrison.
Dubbed “Spirited Xchange,” this year’s collection amplifies Scotch whisky’s global resonance and versatility. It showcases eight singular malts from Diageo’s extensive repertoire.
Each whisky in the Special Releases bears a custom label, crafted by an international artist aligned with the collection’s overarching theme.
The Spirited Xchange roster features
- Mortlach’s ‘The Katana’s Edge,’ aged in ex-Kanosuke Japanese whisky and ex-Pinot Noir barrels.
- The Singleton’s ‘The Silken Gown,’ refined in Chardonnay de Bourgogne French oak.
- Talisker’s ‘The Wild Explorador,’ finished in a medley of white, tawny, and ruby port casks.
- Lagavulin’s ‘The Ink of Legends,’ enhanced by Don Julio Añejo Tequila barrels.
- Roseisle’s ‘The Origami Kite,’ marking the distillery’s debut release.
- Glenkinchie’s ‘The Floral Treasure’ at 27 years, among the distillery’s most aged offerings.
- Oban’s ‘The Soul of Calypso,’ completed in Caribbean pot still rum casks.
- Clynelish’s ‘The Jazz Crescendo,’ matured exclusively in ex-bourbon barrels.
Morrison remarked, “Spirited Xchange captures the everyday inspirations that drive our inventive spirit.”
The collection allowed us to dive into our extensive cellar and experiment with a diverse range of casks, including different wines and local spirits, to craft eight unprecedented expressions.“The collection’s unveiling will feature a Scotland-based event, uniting chefs, mixologists, and artists in a whisky-centric extravaganza spotlighting Talisker, Lagavulin, and The Singleton.
Available in limited numbers starting September 18 on malts.com.