Raboso wine guide
Raboso is the red wine of the Piave, a very suitable area, but almost unknown, given the overwhelming proximity of Prosecco. But precisely in the field of sparkling wines, Raboso can give Prosecco a hard time, with light, light and enjoyable wines.
To paraphrase the famous prison series, Raboso is in the new Prosecco, even if (unfortunately) few people are aware of it. But why should you drink Raboso? Wasn’t it that old-fashioned grumpy and sharp wine, so much so that the same name evokes its grumpy personality?
Certainly, Raboso is a very acid wine, but its clumsiness was due to rustic vinifications, while today, more precise wines are produced, ready to offer pleasantness and heady aromas.
Unfortunately, Raboso shares the province of Treviso with Prosecco. Therefore, it is like saying that his brother is an only child, but fortunately, many winemakers are working to re-emerge the Raboso from oblivion. If you have an aperitif in the Piave area, you will need a sparkling shade of red that will amaze you. If you are looking for something more substantial, get ready to discover the other side of Raboso.
DOCG Piave Malanotte
In 2012 this denomination was established in which the Raboso del Piave is present at 70%, while the remaining 30% is Raboso Veronese. Still, the peculiarity is the partial dehydration of the grapes in classic Amarone style. But be careful; we are not at this stellar level of concentration. In this case, fruit, body and thickness are added to adorn an acidity that would otherwise be bare. The percentage of dried grapes ranges from 15% to 30%.
As you have seen, the Raboso deserves rediscovery and appreciation. You will find various interpretations of this wine, each suitable for every season, both from the supple wine and the sparkling new wine to drink cold. Yes, you got it right, we praised for the first time a wine produced with carbonic maceration and we also tell you that the wine is the sparkling Raboso of the Case Belfi winery, a small pearl for those who want to drink red wines even in summer.
Organoleptic characteristics of Raboso wine
We need to clarify before moving on. We talked about the Raboso del Piave, the gritty and tannic one, but there is also the Raboso Veronese, less aggressive but similar in “aromatic characteristics,” but with more finesse.
Raboso is recognizable not so much for its aromas, which are of red fruit, raspberries, cherries and elderberries, but for the impressive combination of acidity-tannins that assails you as soon as you taste it. And precisely for this reason, we tend to produce wines that are then aged for a long time in wood to smooth out all this exuberance or wines that are ready to drink, sharp and less demanding. When young, it is very vinous, with a purplish color, but as it ages, it becomes a splendid garnet.
Raboso wine production area
We find it in Treviso in the DOCG Piave Malanotte, in the DOC Vicenza Raboso, in Venice in the DOC Lison-Pramaggiore and finally in Padua in the DOC Colli Euganei Rosso.
In conclusion, the Raboso will not change your life, it will not upset you, but there is no doubt that we are only at the beginning of its rebirth, so start uncorking!
Raboso Food Pairings
Perfect as a picnic wine or summer aperitif to accompany salami, ciauscolo, pasta with pesto and fish. Recommended recipes: paella, lamb kebabs, gnocchi with Bolognese, hamburgers, baked lasagna, truffle risotto, pasta Amatriciana, hamburgers, pad thai.